Tuesday, October 9, 2012

I Told You So

The words we all hate to hear....I....Told....You....So. I have learned a tough "online" lesson. So "charlesincharge" and I had a blossoming romance via the phone. I saw about 15 photos of him(in various ages and a slight fluctuation in weight), and I felt confident I had a clear vision of his appearance, his personality and everything about him in general. I'm an 'all or nothing' kind of gal...and this man seemed special.

First off, he was really apprehensive about the online dating in general. His friends talked him into it...he had a bad track record(not unlike someone else I know) and was looking to meet a different kind of girl-one he could settle down with. He said he was used to dating "divas" and had never been in love. The more we talked, the more it seemed like we were made of the same cloth. It got to a point in conversation where I was finishing his thoughts and his sentences(and equally freaking him out). This went on for 2 weeks. We were talking an average of 8 hours a day and really having close, intimate conversations. I was pulling things out of him that he has never discussed with a girl before and it really felt like he was falling for me, and it felt like this was the type of guy I have been missing in my life. The man was perfect of paper.

So I started talking about him to my family, I was really excited about him! They kept trying to be a buzzkill..."he is probably lying about hisself" "he might be nothing like you think he is in person" "Honey, don't get too excited, you may not like him at all in person." I told them all to quit being so pessimistic....he was amazing. There is no way we could have this kind of chemistry or connection on the phone and have nothing in person....besides, I know exactly what he looks like. My nerves were starting to frazzle, cause the night of our impending big date was fast approaching-and I even took down my online dating profile and politely told 2 good looking men that I was currently pursuing something, but would keep them in mind if things did not work out....

Friday night approaches-I drive an hour across town to meet him. I am so nervous it feels like I am having an anxiety attack! He has this picture of him in a cabbie hat and I see a 300 lb man walking in the parking lot with a cabbie hat on....I tell him, " I'm really hoping this 300 lb man in the cabbie hat is not you." He was messing with me....and I walked up to where I was meeting him. And the nervousness went to panic...he could tell by my 2 second pat/hug that I was not feeling him at all. This guy looked nothing at all like his photographs! I mean....nothing?! He does PR work for a men's clothing line and has nice style in his pics....here before me was a young man dressed like an old man. His clothes hung off of him and made him look like a child playing dress-up. He had an oversized, collared, old-man shirt on. Made out of terrycloth or something....hanging down to his knees and tapered walmart-looking jeans with old dirty white tennis shoes on. He was also gravely in need of a haircut-it looked like a porcupine on his head. Way to dress up for me?! He said he was short(5'6 on his profile) and that is cool with me, because I am 5'3 so long as he is taller than me I am good! No sir....he was more like 5'2....and he had scrawney little legs, no backside and was very pudgy. This poor guy was about as attractive as George Castanza....I spent all this time on him, I definitely didn't wanna be rude! So I went to the movie and was just hoping that some kind of feelings would rekindle.....but give me a break. You cannot force yourself to like someone!

Through the whole movie, I kept smirking, cause I was trying to suppress a laugh-thinking of my family telling me, "I told you so." Damnit....they were right. I spent about the last half hour of the movie planning my escape and shiftily peaking at him out of the corner of my eye...wondering how the hell this guy took such hot pictures?!?! I have decided that I had it wrong before...it is NOT better to establish a connection beforehand, it would be wise to meet up first, and see if there is any chemistry there. This guy had been telling me the whole time that I was way outta his league, that I wouldn't like him in person-I thought he was being modest. But I think he knew I wasn't going to find him attractive...after talking to my friend about this, I think she is right. No guy that can get girls is going to get that invested based off of phone calls-and he was planning our future. I was into it, cause I liked him....he got me where i am weak. He appealed to my ego. I will not let this happen again....lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment